‘La Arribada’ declared in Ostional, thousands of turtles flock to the beach

By Kathryn Cawdrey

 OSTIONAL, Costa Rica — Just before sunrise on Dec. 30, sirens broke the still, morning air in the remote town of Ostional, Costa Rica. A man with a bullhorn patrolled the main, gravel street yelling, “Arribada, Arribada!”

turtlebeach

More than 8,000 olive ridley sea turtles came ashore to nest Dec. 30 at Ostional, in northwest Costa Rica. Photo by Kathryn Cawdrey

An arribada is the mass nesting of sea turtles, in this case the olive ridley. This species of sea turtle only nests at eight beaches in the Western Hemisphere, said Yenifer Ruiz Coba, leader of guides for the Integral Development Association of Ostional, locally known as ADIO.

turtle3

If accompanied by a guide, tourists can get close enough to the turtle to see barnacles growing on them. Photo by Kathryn Cawdrey

At 5:30 a.m., Ostional residents sped to the beach, where more than 8,000 olive ridleys were surfacing to lay eggs in the sand.

Arribadas occur as often as once a month throughout the year, though the number of turtles that arrive changes according to season. During the rainy season, which is from May to November, more than 100,000 turtles may nest in a single day. The dry season can attract 8,000 to 10,000.

After 45 to 55 days, the hatchlings emerge and make their way to the sea. In an average year, up to one million turtles hatch and make it into the ocean. But some years, there are up to three million. Though one million sounds overwhelming, it’s only a fraction of the eggs left on the beach. Many face predation before and after hatching by fish, birds, crocodiles and even stray dogs.

predatorsdog

A stray dog digs up turtle nests looking for food in Ostional. Photo by Kathryn Cawdrey

Ruiz explained that only 1 out of 100 new hatchlings will make it to adulthood. Therefore, only 7 percent of eggs laid will be successful. Reasons eggs don’t hatch include predation, a nest that is too dense, destruction of nests by other females, contamination of the beach due to fungi or bacteria, and poaching.

The association and residents of Ostional implemented a program 29 years ago that would make use of the unsuccessful eggs. By regulating egg harvesting, the association can reduce illegal poaching, profit from egg removal and conserve olive ridley turtles.

This program reduces illegal poaching by creating a legal market for the sale of turtle eggs, the only one of its kind, local officials said. Egg buyers who seek to sell the eggs for consumption have to fill out paperwork and keep the transaction receipt. If a seller has eggs not approved as Ostional eggs, they face legal action: jail time, large fines or community service. The residents of Ostional also receive 200 eggs per family, free of charge.

harvesting

A resident of Ostional collects eggs in a large sack to be stored and sold. Photo by Kathryn Cawdrey

The money received from turtle egg sales is given back to harvesters and the association. About 70 percent goes to the harvesters, who all receive equal pay regardless of status. The remaining 30 percent goes to the association for upkeep of buildings, utilities, payment for guards or other necessities, Ruiz said.

The association also harvests eggs to encourage survival of nests. Because of the nesting en masse, female turtles arriving later in the arribada destroy 60 percent of nests that have already been made, Ruiz said. The association only harvests during the first three days of an arribada. Additionally, if the nests are too close together, there is not enough oxygen for them all to survive.

babyturtle7

Even a hatchling was spotted during the arribada, a rare sight. Photo by Kathryn Cawdrey

Tomás Chavarria, 71, has lived in Ostional for 50 years and was member of the local police force for 29 years. Chavarria believes the turtles and their conservation go hand-in-hand to achieve sustainability, for both the community and the turtle.

“We are living from what we get from nature, but also giving back,” he said.

Edited by Amanda Henderson

 

One thought on “‘La Arribada’ declared in Ostional, thousands of turtles flock to the beach

  1. Debbie Allen says:

    Great photos and story!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: